Saturday, December 15, 2007

Games of December

Here are some of the games I've been tirelessly playing all month, along with some quick tidbits:

Mario Galaxy (Wii)


I've loved Mario ever since the olden days of gaming. Though I never played Super Mario 64 (don't stone me to death please), I did play Super Mario Sunshine, and loved it. Super Mario Galaxy is more of a throwback to Mario's groundbreaking adventure on the N64, however, it still feels strangely familiar to Sunshine. Coins have a different purpose this time around, offering life, intead of, well, money. Star bits are what you're after, though. Fifty and you've got a new life. You'll have no problem finding plenty of them, nor will you have problems finding extra 1up mushrooms.

The game does get a tad disorienting once in a while, since your adventure will take you to small, goomba-infested worlds in which you're jumping upside-down and backwards to avoid getting hit. One of the coolest additions to the game is Mario's bee suit. This adds a whole new dimension to some levels, making for some really interesting play-throughs. I haven't beaten it yet, but I'm still trying to find all of the damn stars (more than 100 of them), then I guess I'll go save the Princess.

Mass Effect (Xbox 360)


Mass Effect is made by one of my favorite developers, BioWare. The story driven plot and great action elements make this one of my favorite games of all time. Though, in my opinion, not quite as good as BioWare's first game, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. A lot of people bash this game for it's subtle design and gameplay flaws, but I think the design, as somewhat simplistic as it is, serves the game well. The shear amount of story lines, sidequests, and subplots make this game well worth the 30 or so hours it takes to complete. Not to mention you get to make it with hot alien chick.

Other games and such:

Guitar Hero III (Wii)
Starcraft (Still going strong)
Wii Sports (Wii)
Forza Motorsports 2 (Xbox 360)


No comments: