Thursday, September 07, 2006

Oh The Places I Will Go: Part One



There are many places I want to travel to before my time on Earth expires. I want to be able to look at a map of the world and point to at least all seven continents and say "I've been there". So, I've decided to officially list the places I wish to visit, a kind of constant reminder that keeps me motivated. Here are the first five:


  1. London - What else can I say? It's probably the coolest place in Europe, to me anyway. I think my distant love for London is one of the reasons I moved to Seattle. Plus, it helps to fit in with all the other pasty skinned blokes. Rain, fog, and that olde school charm is what puts this at the top of my list. I almost went to school there, I was this close (puts index finger and thumb together very closely)!
  2. Machu Picchu - A five mile hike up into the mountains of Peru will grant you with the most awe inspiring view into a mysterious civilization. Just look at these pictures. It wasn't really an entire civilization, but most likely a retreat or vacation town for some of the well-to-do's in Peru. Nevertheless, it's just plain awesome.
  3. Dublin - Who wouldn't want to go to Dublin? Rolling hills of green; friendly, drunken locals; some of the best beer in the world, and the Loch Ness monster? Count me in!
  4. Japan (Kyoto, Tokyo) - I've always wanted to learn Japanese. There is something about the culture that is inspiring. I think that I relate to them becuase I love video games just as they do, and I understand their culture as most people don't. Plus, I would be gigantic over there, a real ego booster if I do say so.
  5. Athens - I guess I just really want a good Gyro. A city that can withstand nearly 3,000 years of war, politics, and religion is one I want to visit. Plus the Parthenon is there or something :]

What about you guys? What's your top five?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The place I have always wanted to go is in the US but seems like a foriegn country. I have always wanted to go to Alaska. I would also like to go to Athens. I remember studying in school about it. Just the history of the place makes you want to learn more.

Anonymous said...

My top 5

1. Red wood Forest
2. Berlin
3. Portland Maine
4. Hawaii
5. San Antonio Texas
6. Mexico (somewhere nice tho!)

Not really sure why, just want to see everything that I can before I "expire". As my career in Nursing may take up most of my time, however; Rob and I are hoping to travel at least once a year. I guess the having no kids thing is really going to have its benefits! HAHAHA, Sorry aunt La!

Derek Bigelow said...

Hmm, Dana, I'm not THAT far from the Redwood Forest in Northern California. If you ever come out to visit, we should make a trip down there, it's only about 6 hours or so. Why Berlin?

Dalinda, Alaska would be awesome, however I'm still a long ways away from it even out here. I am planning on visiting a friend who lives in Anchorage sometime, I'll let you know how it is!